Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dylan on a Sunday

One of the great things about hitting a birthday that end with a "0" is that people feel sorry for you and give you things--namely music. I collected $75 in iTunes dollars, half of which I have spent. (And thanks Craig for the music. Got it yesterday in the mail).

When you have a few extra dollars, you can go back and fill in some holes--things you should own but don't. So, I bought some DMB, Pearl Jam, Raconteurs, and some Dylan. I am ashamed to admit that I didn't own Oh, Mercy. People ask me where to start if they want to develop a sense of what Dylan is all about. Hard to answer before. Easy now. Oh, Mercy. I love it, and it brings together some of the best parts of his music over time.

It's the beginning of the contemporary Dylan sound. My favorite. Like Dylan's early stuff, there's some protest here. And the biblical references are explicit, reminiscent of his "Christian" period. A little bit of everything.

But its also a consistently great cd. It deserved the Grammy attention it got. The songs are full of passion and heartbreak, Dylan's own and the ache of others. This cd is so human. Dylan's wheeze suits them. I've listened to it straight through several times, and I never want to move on to the next song. Some are already my favorites.

Political World--We live in a political world, where mercy walks the plank...

Everything is Broken-- Broken lives, broken strings, broken threads, broken springs, broken idols, broken heads, people sleeping in broken beds, ain't no use jivin', ain't no use joking, everything is broken.

Ring Them Bells--Ring them bells, sweet Martha for the poor man's son, so the world will know that God is one, for the shepherd is asleep, where the willow's weep, and the mountains are filled with lost sheep. Ring them bells for the blind and deaf, Ring them bells, for those who are left, Ring them bells, for the chosen few, who will judge the many when the game is through...

Man in the Long Black Coat--Not a word of goodbye, not even a note, she's gone with the man in the long black coat...Somebody said in the Bible he quote, there was dust on the man with the long black quote...

Most of the Time--Blogged about this song a few weeks ago. Great, great song.

What Good Am I?--What good am I if I'm like all the rest. If I just turn away when I see how you're dressed. If I shut myself so I can't here you cry, what good am I? (I think this is my favorite song on the cd).

So, if you haven't jumped in the Dylan pool yet, here's the spot.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just spent another $10 in itunes, thanks to you.

I started downloading at 6am this morning, and (I'm not making this up) the power went off part way through "Everything is Broken". Power came back. I resumed downloading. Internet went off with a few KB remaining on Everything is Broken!

This all happened after a strange moment in the cosmos: I was reading a commentary on the new health care reform, when Political World finished downloading and started playing.

Needless to say, Dylan has been prophetic and a little eery today.

Mark Love said...

Everything is broken...